Skip to main content

University, “the best few years of your life”


When people talk about university, they often say “it was the best few years of their life”. However, not everyone’s narrative echoes this. As my undergraduate university chapter comes to an end, I have found myself reflecting on the experience. It has been a journey complete with ebbs and flows but one that I value and feel strengthened by. 

Starting university or moving away from home is monumental for anyone, but for someone who struggles with anxiety it is particularly hard. Leaving home (my safe place), friends, and family was hard enough let alone having to adjust to a new environment and meet new people – hello sensory overload! Needless to say, I found it hard. The feeling of loneliness was uncomfortable, and the new founded independence was overwhelming. Even the smallest of tasks such as making breakfast felt like climbing a mountain. 

However, I got through it. I visited home at weekends to recharge, I focused on my degree and worked hard, and incrementally challenged myself each day. I think it is easy to become infatuated with the social dimension of university; however, I reminded myself daily of the objective of going to university which is to learn. This reframing enabled acceptance and contentment.

Gradually, I found my footing; I met unconditionally supportive friends, fell in love with the city of Bath and got stuck into my course. I feel immense pride when I think of the happiness I felt throughout my final year. I maintained equilibrium between social and academic life, my anxiety was minimal, and I was as independent as ever. 

I may have taken longer to settle into university, but the strength and pride I feel when considering my ability to persevere and achieve is immeasurable. Final year Lucy is very proud and grateful to Freshers week Lucy. 

Some tips if you are starting university in September:

·      Challenge yourself. Remember this is relative and very much unique to you. What one person considered challenging, may be completely different to your threshold. For instance, if going out seems too much, then just go to some pre’s and try meet people that way. Building confidence slowly this way will help facilitate putting yourself out there in a multitude of situations. 

·      Avoid comparison. Try to avoid comparing yourself to other people despite direct comparison being easy with social media. I found myself looking at my home friends snapchat/instagram stories and consequently feeling less than because it looked like they were having the best time. But remember this is just a 2-minute clip of their day may not be representative of their experience. Recognising that university is an individual experience is so important. 

·      Be friendly. Seems obvious but it always helps to say hi to people. This can be hard for people who are shy but use it as your challenge! Simply being kind and friendly to others can mean a lot to someone who is struggling. 

Comments